Warren, OH Dog Bite Attorney
Dog Bite Claims in Ohio
Have you been bitten by a dog in Ohio? Dog bites can lead to:
- Serious injuries
Therefore, it is important that you receive compensation that will fully cover your medical and other accident-related expenses if you have been hurt.
At Urban Co., L.P.A., our Warren dog bite attorneys can help you with:
- Legal paperwork
- Work with you to establish liability
- Represent you in court if your case goes to trial.
This way, you can focus exclusively on your recovery while we handle the rest.
Dog Bite Laws in Ohio
According to Ohio Revised Code Section 955.28(B), a dog owner is liable for any injury (not just bites) caused by a dog if all of the following are true and can be proven:
- A dog's behavior caused the injury
- The injured party was not committing or attempting to commit a crime at the time of the attack
- The injured party was not provoking or abusing the dog in any way
If you were injured by a dog and all the above are true, then you can file a lawsuit in an effort to receive compensation to cover your medical expenses. As stated in the Ohio statute of limitations, you have two years from the date of your injury to file a claim.
What to Do After a Dog Bite
Dogs bite around 4.7 million Americans annually, according to WebMD, and half of those victims are children between the ages of 5 and 9. One out of every five dog bites causes an injury that requires medical attention. This is because dog bites can lead to excessive bleeding and/or infection if not treated quickly. You also may lose your chance at establishing liability if you don’t act quickly., Therefore, there are certain steps you should take following a dog attack in order to protect both your health and your claim.
If you or someone you know is bitten by a dog, you should:
- Call 911 right away if the wound is severe
- Put pressure on the wound with a clean towel
- Wash the bite carefully with soap and water
- Talk to the animal’s owner and collect their contact and insurance information
- Ask the dog’s owner what breed of dog bit you and if they have had a rabies shot
- If there were witnesses, collect their contact info as well
- See a doctor and follow their orders
- Call a lawyer for a free consultation to get advice on what to do next
Looking for more information? Or are you ready to get started with your claim? Contact us now.